Teeth Cleanings in Shakopee, MN
As a Preventative Care service, it is essential to maintain oral health and hygiene with routine teeth cleanings. Are you looking for professional teeth cleaning services in Shakopee, MN, and the surrounding areas? Dr. Kuhr at Kuhr Dental Group is a professional dental hygienist ready to serve all your dental needs in the Shakopee area.
What is Teeth Cleaning?
Teeth cleaning is part of oral hygiene, involving the removal of dental plaque from teeth to prevent gingivitis, cavities, and periodontal disease. Professional teeth cleaning is a vital part of your overall oral health. It keeps your teeth feeling and looking healthy. Most people associate teeth cleanings with pain and fear their appointment; however, the process is simple and painless, resulting in a cleaner, healthier, and visually appealing dental formula.
How Often Does Someone Need their Teeth Cleaned?
Dentists recommend scheduling teeth cleaning at least every six months. However, in some cases, more frequent professional teeth cleanings can positively impact your dental health. For example, if you’re at risk of developing periodontal disease, dentists recommend teeth cleanings visits every 3-4 months to maintain your dental health and prevent the disease from recurring. Teeth cleanings also help to prevent tooth decay. It also gives you a healthier mouth and fresh breath. Regular teeth cleaning can help you avoid embarrassing teeth problems, and help boost your confidence and improve the overall appearance of your smile.
Is Teeth Cleaning Beneficial in the Long-Term?
Regular teeth cleaning appointments allow a dentist to check for easily treatable conditions in their early stages that are also dangerous and hard to treat later, such as oral cancer and gum disease. Consistent teeth cleaning helps you avoid costly dental procedures to reverse worsened situations.
What Are the Main Types of Teeth Cleaning?
Preventive Dentistry works to solve oral health problems before they happen. Depending on the extent of damage or need for cleaning, our dentist will perform either of the following types of teeth cleaning procedures.
- Prophylaxis Dental Cleaning: Prophylaxis means “to prevent disease.” prophylaxis dental cleaning involves cleaning healthy teeth to prevent tooth decay or gum disease infection. The procedure uses a dental scaler or water stream to remove plaque from the teeth’s front, sides, and back. Prophylaxis dental cleaning is recommended for people who maintain regular dental visits at least twice annually.
- Scaling and Root Planing Cleaning: Also known as deep cleanings–scaling and root planing cleaning is used to treat gingivitis and periodontitis in the teeth and gum pockets. Scaling involves the removal of plaque and tartar from the teeth’s surface and in the gum pockets below the gum line, forming as a result of gum disease. Scaling removes bacteria and gum inflammation. On the other hand, root planing involves smoothing the teeth’s roots, helping the gums to reattach to the teeth and eliminate gum pockets.
- Periodontal Maintenance Cleaning: Like scaling and root planing cleaning, periodontal maintenance cleanings help to remove tartar and plaque from the gum pockets and tooth surface, then smooths out the root if necessary. However, the main difference is that periodontal maintenance is performed more often than other teeth cleaning types. This is because gum disease is progressive and can worsen without effective treatment.
- Gross Debridement Cleaning: Gross debridement cleaning is more suited for individuals who require heavy cleaning due to prolonged time without dental visits or oral care. It involves cleaning a significant amount of plaque and tartar. This process may involve using high-tech electrical tools to loosen tartar. The dentist may then perform a prophylaxis cleaning procedure to finish the cleaning process.
What Does the Appointment Process Look Like at Kuhr Dental Group?
The initial process involves contacting us via the provided means to set up a dentist appointment. On the day of the appointment, the dentist will examine your teeth and discuss all options available to you. Upon agreement, the dentist will begin the teeth cleaning procedure. Here is what to expect from it:
- Physical exam of the mouth
- Removing plaque and tartar buildup
- A thorough cleaning
- Fluoride treatment.
The dentist may then recommend further steps to clean and maintain your teeth. The dentist will recommend further visits to finish the cleaning process if necessary.
Schedule Your Next Appointment with us at Kuhr Dental Group
Kuhr Dental Group can perform professional and efficient teeth cleaning procedures to improve oral health. We are here to help with your current dental problems and prevent others from occurring or progressing further. Contact us to schedule your next teeth cleaning appointment in Shakopee, MN.